Whether you live in a big city or live in a tightly packed neighborhood having a small yard can be frustrating! All homeowners strive to make the most out of their outdoor spaces, and if done right, they can feel like an extension of the home! However, for people with smaller yards, this can be a frustrating task. The good news for you is that CGreens Landscape Management is here in Dallas and ready to create your dream space! We have worked on yards of every size imaginable, and we know how you can most efficiently use however much space you have! It really does not matter how much space you have, what matters is what you do with that space. So, here are a few ways that you can maximize your cozy space!
How to Maximize the Space in Your Small Yard
- Garden In Containers – One struggle of having a small yard is not having enough space or soil to get that gardening fix. The simplest solution to this is by gardening in containers. You can use pots, portable planters, etc, but the point is that this grants you flexibility. You can change your plants around depending on the season, and occasion.
- Pay Attention to the Scale – If you have smaller yard space, it is important to not have a bunch of large pieces of furniture that take up too much of the yard. Using smaller plants, and pieces of furniture will make your yard feel diverse but not overcrowded.
- Avoid Clutter – Along the same lines, having too much furniture or planters can also make your yard feel overcrowded. For example, instead of using 15 small pots use 4 or 5 larger ones. Also, keep lines clean, and avoid overly bulky furniture.
- Use Vertical Space – Remember the horizontal surfaces of your yard are not the only surface that you should use. Your fences, walls, or other vertical surfaces are great locations to give your yard more color and appeal. These locations are especially useful for hanging planters or growing ivy.
- Storage Space – One that many homeowners run into is having too much stuff in their yards and nowhere to store it. Most homeowners also do not want to take up some of their valuable yard space with ugly storage containers. Luckily, there are tons of options for benches and tables with built-in storage spaces.
- Make a Focal Point – The main function of a focal point in a small space would be to draw attention off of the size of the yard. Things like prominently displayed sculptures or fountains. This creates a trick of the eye pushing the walls of the yard away.
- Keep your yard Open – By not using overhead architecture or large overhanging trees, your yard appears more open. Not only does it feel less claustrophobic, but it also lets the sun in, and makes the yard feel warmer and inviting.
Still Need Some Help?
If you are still struggling to figure out what to do with your small space, CGreens is here to help! Our expert landscape designers will the vision for your yard and make it a reality. CGreens Landscape Management has been helping homeowners in Dallas make the most of their yards for 40 years! So we have seen yards of all shapes and sizes and will know the best approach. Please, contact us for more information or to schedule a service!